Route 1 (now Southeast First Street) with Mt Hood in the distance.

Route 1 (now Southeast First Street) with Mt Hood in the distance.

Rows of potatoes with the 1915 barn (now home to our tasting room) in the background.

Rows of potatoes with the 1915 barn (now home to our tasting room) in the background.

Where we started in 1903. Look closely and you will see three children behind a large stump. This is the farm when it was purchased, with the original claimsteaders’s shack in the background.

Potatoes on the way to the Fort Vancouver Barracks to feed the soldiers housed there.

Potatoes on the way to the Fort Vancouver Barracks to feed the soldiers housed there.

Carl S and Betah English, standing behind Carl’s parents, Persis and Jude.  Seated in laps, Roy and

Carl S and Betah English, standing behind Carl’s parents, Persis and Jude. Seated in laps, Roy and

Large old growth trees were removed before farming could begin.

Large old growth trees were removed before farming could begin.

Carl S. English brought his wife, Betah, and 3 children to Clark County from Michigan, and 5 more children were born on the farm. He was a well-educated man, having a degree from Michigan State University, and was the first Superintendent of the first hydroelectric power plant in Lowell, Michigan, before moving to Clark County. He had built a “horseless carriage” about the same time as Henry Ford, and generated electricity for the farm with a gas-powered internal combustion engine. He took hundreds of photographs, developed the film in the bathroom and mounted most of them on glass slides. He was born in 1860 and died in 1956 at the age of 96. His son, Ferris, lived to be 98. Early life on the Farm was devoted to clearing the land, growing potatoes, grain and prunes. Eventually a dairy was established, which continued until the early 1970’s. Winegrapes were first planted in 1980.